Tuesday, March 3, 2009

GTD in my world.

Again, no shot today. Instead, just some thinking about getting things done and organization.

For Creatives, I've always that getting things done was a bit of a bugaboo.

We're often engaged in our medium for passion rather than income, and the lack of structure and corporate environment forces us to self-impose systems of organization and productivity.

I couldn't have cared less about either of those things until recently. Now, I'm doing my best to organize the creative part of my life. Now, I'm continually increasing my intensity in these areas of my life.

For me, work is a forgone conclusion. It takes care of itself. However, shooting, blogging, and the like is a different story. It takes intensity and intentionality on my part to develop those things.

Starting today, I've invested in a new, systematic approach to organize my goals, my needs, and to generally be productive, and get things done.

I think it's pretty simple and low-tech. I bought three Moleskines, ruled, 5x8.25". Each of these has its own role. The first, I've labeled "Shooting." This one goes with me into the studio (which, of course, is just our upstairs). The plan is to use it to write about shoots. Lighting setups, challenges, things that work, things that don't work. It's a way to organize and remember my shoots so that I can learn from successes and mistakes and get better. As a secondary goal, I hope those notes will help with this blog, and sharing some of my creative processes with a (hopefully growing) community of folks to refine those processes.

The second is labeled "Productivity." I intend to use it for all of the things I need to do—blog ideas, website idea, business ideas. Eventually, that may too broad of a category, but I think for now it will get the job done.

Lastly, I've labeled one for "Daydreaming." This is one is for long-term goals and things I don't yet have the ability to put into action. There are lots of things that bounce around in my head that I think would be great ideas for the future, or things that I need to work toward, but they often get lost. I hope this notebook will be a space where I can record and return to those things, hopefully finding action steps that will make those goals a reality.

So that's it, my new, low-tech system for GTD. I'd love to hear from anyone else. How do you get things done in your world? How do you stay organized? How to track short and long term goals and growth?

2 comments:

  1. Yeah, yeah. I know. I'm sure jumped the shark long ago.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha. I have a few of my own. Nobody is confusing this guy for something other than a white boy.

    ReplyDelete